Momcat
KD Forum Leader

How old is KD?

Post by Momcat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:26 pm

liquidambar
500+ Posts

Re: How old is KD?

Post by liquidambar » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:05 pm

I am very familiar with Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
My son was taking a seizure medicine Lamitcal.
Very good stuff - made him so mellow, but the side effects on the little bitty print of this drug warns of possible Stevens-Johnson syndrome.

And sure enough after a month of taking it, he got up one morning - took his seizure medicine and his ears and neck began to burn and turn very red.

That evening he took it again and once more it was the same.

He went off of it immediately. Turns out most people (everybody) eventually becomes allergic to Lamitcal.

I wonder how in the heck they could decide that it was indeed Kawasaki's from autopsies way back in 1871??? I don't trust that they could or can.

marinamom
100+ Posts

Post by marinamom » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:43 pm

The distinction was made between the large numbers dying of scarlet fever that sometimes produced heart damage buy not aneurism through autopsy. Don't know of another disease other than PAN which is multisystem KD that would produce the aneurism.

award
100+ Posts

Post by award » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:40 pm

The aneurysms are very specific so just like the autopsied case in 1870/1 in England, the classic changes associated with KD were present and they can reasonably state this was in fact KD and not ''scarlatine dropsy" as in the case of the British boy or SJS in the above case.