Am I right to have KD concerns about my 2 year old?

Personal stories of individuals and families affected by Kawasaki disease

Am I right to have KD concerns about my 2 year old?

Post by finnsmama » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Hello everyone, I would really appreciate some advice/reassurance. I cannot shake the concerns I have for my 2.5 year old son.

He is usually robust and in good health, with a great appetite. On Monday he developed a fever, it has peaked and remitted but stayed within 37.8 and 40 over the last 5 days. He vomited on Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon, had 2 occasions of diarrhoea yesterday so I thought it was gastric flu. He hasn't eaten since Monday though he is drinking plenty. He is exhausted, sleeping all the time and lethargic and irritable when he is awake. He developed redness in his mouth yesterday which is now strawberry tongue. This morning he developed a red rash on his bottom and groin which spread down his legs to his feet, to his cheeks and arms and he now has a sprinkling on his torso. It doesn't appear to be itchy. He has swollen lymph nodes in his neck. He does not have red eyes or hands/feet. The GP diagnosed scarlet fever today despite him not having a sore throat, and the rash not being sandpaper-like. Will be day 6 tomorrow. I asked about KD and GP said it is rare and his symptoms aren't consistent and she would rather treat for scarlet fever and gave penicillin and did a throat swab. My gut says it isn't scarlet fever since I had it myself in my late teens and the rash is nothing like it really.

Are his symptoms in any way consistent with KD? It was the rash starting in the genital area and spreading, the strawberry tongue and fever lasting 5 days thus far that set alarms ringing for me but GP seemed to think it was ludicrous that I would even ask.

Re: Am I right to have KD concerns about my 2 year old?

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:53 pm

You should go get a second opinion immediately. I would go to the ER if you cannot get into a doctor's office.

See the image at the top of this site:

He has a fever + strawberry tongue + lymph nodes + rash. More than enough symptoms.

Good luck, let us know what they say. Go now.

Re: Am I right to have KD concerns about my 2 year old?

Post by Lydiasmommy92 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:50 am

Im very sorry to hear all of this and I would just like to say. Please get a second opinion just to be safe and don't stop asking until someone does an echo of his hearty just to rule out k awasakis. If there are no aneurysms then wonderful bit if there are you only have a certain time to treat with IVIG. And if there are he will need high dose aspirin and possibly some other medicine. Yes scarlet fever can cause strawberry tongue but the rash in genital area is not consistent to scarlet fever. My daughter never had the tongue symptom or peeling of the skin but she still had kawasakis there was fluid around her coronaryaarteries when she was first diagnosed and thanks to the amazing staff at th e hospital in which she was they treated her with IVIG and I do believe that is what stopped progression of the fluid becoming worse. How long has your child had a fever? With kawasaki they have to have a high fever for at least 5 days to even be considered for this disease. But even not I would still double check. I pray that it is not this and will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. So many drs now days just dismiss and treat with antibiotics and that's not always the solution. Kawasakis is extremely rare and only about 4500 children a year alone in the US are diagnosed with this. DO NOT stop until you get reassurance. I wish you and your family good rest and comfort and please keep me updated on your case.