I was 10 when I had KD

Personal stories of individuals and families affected by Kawasaki disease
nicole.fuenfhausen

I was 10 when I had KD

Post by nicole.fuenfhausen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:58 am

I was in 3rd grade when I became extremely ill. It started with a bad migraine. Mom kept me home from school and after 3 days I got worse. they took me to Cook children's and I was pale white and had torticollis. The ER was scared I had meningitis and immediately got me prepared for a lumbar puncture. The fever was so high I wasn't very aware of what was happening. I slept for days at a time. A board of special doctors came in everyday to check on me. They didn't know what was wrong. A nurse finally diagnosed me. I am a very rare case and I took awhile to be diagnosed. See I was 10 years old, a girl and not of Asian descent. I also was the first case that season in north Texas. I stated at the hospital for 2 weeks. I was sent home and three days became very ill again. I was rushed back to the hospital and had to be treated a second time. I was in the hospital for a total of a month. I am 22 now and have lived with KD everyday after I left. I have chronic joint pain. it started in my lower back and spread every year till it was everywhere. I have arrhythmias if I push my self too far and seasonal allergies. I live on ibuprofen but I have found that zyflamend helps as well. I am a baker now and stand on my feet all day. My job is very demanding and physical. You can overcome KD and keep fighting for a normal life. It is just a little harder. I haven't missed out I was in marching band in highshcool as well as JROTC. Now that I am married my husband I do know we will have to watch out for our children and the doctors told me once that I have a higher risk for aneurysm. My only advice for people with KD is keep living and do everything you can.

Lasttemplar

Re: I was 10 when I had KD

Post by Lasttemplar » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:21 am

I wish you only the best. With the a "keep living attitude" you will get what you give. :) I am new to the board and believe no good attitude should be ignored, it should be applauded and passed on thanks for encouraging others to keep going.