This sounds similar to my daughter's story. Here's her timeline of events:
Wed, Jan 13, 2010--My daughter wasn't feeling well after school, she slept right away. Later in evening fever of 102. Husband calls me at work, she vomited and complaining of abdominal pain. Tylenol given.
Thurs, Jan 14, 2010--Very sleepy, not like her at all. Complained of severe abdominal pain, cranky. Did not feel hot when husband went to work at 7am. Came home at 8:30am. Felt her neck and was burning up, temp 102.5. Brought to docs and fever is 104 and was like a "ragdoll" as per the doc . Diagnosed with "stomach virus" and went home. Didn't want to eat and drank very little due to nausea and pain. Bought her ice pops, licked it a couple of times but didnt' want to eat it! Ice pops is her favorite treat.
Friday, Jan 15, 2010--Sleepy, didn't want to eat. Complained of abdominal pain again. Seemed to bother her more in the morning. Fevers all day about 102's, tylenol basically every 4 hours but by 3 hours I can feel she starting to burn up. I believe I started giving motrin that evening. Also complaining of her right jaw and neck hurting (could have been earlier than today).
Saturday, Jan 16, 2010--Severe abd pain again with fever. Symptoms seemed worse in the morning, I guess when her fever is at it's highest. Cranky, abd pain, fever, minimal drinking and not really eating. Gave tylenol and she vomited. Called the doc's office. At the office, fever is down, 98.9 (feels hotter than that). Feels better, abd not tender. Only blood test ordered and went to get labs drawn. Fever again later that day.
Sunday, Jan 17, 2010--At 3am wakes up, complaining of severe abd pain and fever. Gave her motrin, felt better by 4 am but decidely brought her to ER. Fever down to 99.6 in ER. Told doc blood work done day before. Doc asked me if anyone called about results, answer is no. Asked about blood work results, WBC 23.6! Other labs off but not mentioned. Doc ordered more blood work, cxr, ultrasound, IVF for dehydration and later she had ordered xray abd. Blood work came back, WBC 17.8 trending down but still high, hbg from 11.4 to 10.8, plt 403 to 412 (normal), amongst other labs being off,CRP 15.1 TO 12.8 very high, ESR 67 to 83 high as well. By about 10am all radiology test, including two ultrasounds of the abd with the second read directly by the radiologist was nonconclusive. Blood culture pending, urine culture showing large ketones and mucous with few bacteria, flu neg, mono neg. At 11am I can feel she's getting warmer, temp 99.4, tylenol given. She slept a little and by 12:30pm started to eat lunch. Not too much of an appetite and complained of abd pain but able to eat and drink. Sent home, diagnosed with virus. Fever later that day of 101.5 and abd pain and right neck/jaw pain. Called pediatrician, give mortin and see dentist in the morning. Then call with updates.
Monday, Jan 18, 2010--Still complaining of abd pain, fever 101.3. Called ER and spoke with a nurse practioner and said all cultures negative. As she states, poss a viral infection which can even last for 10 days. However I'm not accepting this answer as my daughter never had an fever greater than two days. Anyways, brought my daughter to dentist and took panaromic view of jaw/skull. No evidence of abscess despite cavities. Went to pediatrician and ordered Omnicef . Gave first dose about 4pm along with motrin, fever of 101.3. Went out to eat late about 9:45pm, (we were hungry) and I can see my daughter's eyes getting pinkish. Thought she was just tired but something she's never had before. Gave motrin at 11:30pm.
Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010--No morning fever, finally. She actually slept a little longer. When she woke up her eyes are still pinkish. Read side effects of Omnicef and stated yellowish eyes but but pinkish. Waited sometime to see if it would go away. By approx 1pm left a message with the doc regarding her eyes and her not pooping for days since her sickness. When she called backI got a slew of questions...is her tongue red, hands swollen or peeling, answer is no. But I notice a faint rash on her chest. And after the doc saying too much over the phone she stated Kawasaki disease. Got nervous especially with possibility of IVIG. But looking at my daughter she is otherwise playful and temp has not gone up to 101, max was 100.5. Called hubby and went to the ER when he arrived. Reached ER about 3:45pm (had to pack, wait for hubby and quickly ate en route). Doc assessed my daughter and said it doesn't look like Kawasaki but noticed her conjuctivitis and faint chest rash. Discussed about platelets should be higher about the 5th day of KD. So about 6:30pm platelets are higher but can't conclude KD. However WBC is down at 14.9, hgb 11.8 (from 10.
. Other labs still pending. She spoke with a cardiologist and since no fever today, 99.6 in ER, echo not needed per cardiologist. But to follow up with pediatrician in the morning who may order an echo. So I asked if my daughter may have an KD and if her body is taking care of it. She said she may have had a mild case. As the doc states, many older people have heart problems (in relation to a virus)but never knew they had KD. Doc also mentioned that the cardiologist had also agreed that my daughter had labs test and symptoms that are like KD thus can't rule it out. Before we left I asked if other labs drawn besides CBC. CRP is down to 4.6 (from 15.1 Sat to 12.8 Sun), still high but improved. As we drive home I review her other labs K 5.8, ast 80 (from 19), alt 101 (from 23), ESR 84 (from 83). So why are these labs getting worse and not improving? I'll ask the pediatrician that in the morning. Btw, still no poops from last week. But abd pain is so much better today and no complaints of jaw/neck pain.
So this is where we are. Temps today from 100.5 to 99.6. She will be following with the pediatrician in the morning. I am hoping to go ahead with an echocardiogram and inquire about the blood work. Eyes still pink, lips appear dry and peeling, tongue pinkish but with large bumps and no obvious rash and very much playful.
Thanks for listening.