Aneurysm despite early IVIG and good recovery

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
Aarthi311

Aneurysm despite early IVIG and good recovery

Post by Aarthi311 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:10 am

Hi all,

My son (22 months old) was diagnosed with KD 20 days ago. He had had high fever for 6 days. We're based in Mountain View, California and he was promptly treated with IVIG and responded well. First echo and EKG were clear. The cardiologist came out looking happy and told us long term prognosis is good. But our meeting yesterday for the second visit, my son was diagnosed with two small aneurysms. I have been reading up and find that he is among some 5% of kids who are promptly treated and still developed CAA.

We are to.meet the cardiologist in a week and a half. Any chance the small aneurysm can turn into giant? What should we expect? I want to be prepared.

Aarthi311

Re: Aneurysm despite early IVIG and good recovery

Post by Aarthi311 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:12 am

My son was very healthy before this. He was and is still being breastfed, never fell sick, no ear infections, fevers, not even a diaper rash! Eats healthy... Feel so bad.

Tb834

Re: Aneurysm despite early IVIG and good recovery

Post by Tb834 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 pm

After reading your story, I start to worry about my son’s case again. He had IVIG on the 9th, responded well to the drug. Echo scan on the 13th came out normal. I am asked to wait 3 months to do another echo. We went to get treatment in Singapore. What does your pedetrician say? Why does aneurysm develop after IVIG and first echo? Could they make mistake on the first echo?

Thanks,