When do aneuysms typically show in the disease progression

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
nursemom

When do aneuysms typically show in the disease progression

Post by nursemom » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:45 pm

My 20 month old son was diagnosed with atypical KD on Feb. 3, 2015. He was on day 8 of a high fever when treated with IVIG and high-dose aspirin. On day 2 of the fever, he had a rash that started in his groin area and spread to his entire body. His eyes turned bright red/puffy around the eyelids on day 3. His hands and feet swelled and turned red on day 5-6. His 1st echo was completed upon admission to the hospital and we were told it was very high end of "normal" and because they had none previous to compare to then they were very eager to start the treatment before infectious disease labs came back. He has a follow up echo coming up in 2 weeks. Just wondering others' experience with this. I have, of course, read alot about the disease progression and from what I have read it sounds as though aneurysms don't show up until later in the course of the disease (like even 20-30 days post fever), so even though his echo was normal on day 8 of the disease, could he develop an aneurysm now?

marissaburt

Re: When do aneuysms typically show in the disease progression

Post by marissaburt » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:10 pm

My 7 year old had atypical KD. He was diagnosed and treated on Day 7 of the disease, when they did an echo and saw dilation of his arteries. (His only other symptoms were red eyes and prolonged fever).

A week after the IVIG treatment we went in for a follow up echo, and aneurysms were already visible.

Notto17
10+ Posts

Re: When do aneuysms typically show in the disease progression

Post by Notto17 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:47 am

I believe aneurysms can show up at anytime, that's why they recommend an echo at time of diagnosis, two weeks later and six weeks later. We had an echo at two weeks and everything looked fine but have our 6 week next week and they like to do around 6-8 weeks because as we were told, there's a chance something could pop up. If children do not have any aneurysms by 6-8 weeks after diagnosis, they are deemed to be in the clear and very unlikely they were develop after 6-8 weeks. This is just my understanding; others may have more knowledge for you!