Nonfever symptoms 4 days post IVIG

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
Amos1439

Nonfever symptoms 4 days post IVIG

Post by Amos1439 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:50 pm

My 11 month old son was diagnosed with atypical KD 5 days ago after 8 days of fever with conjunctivitis and lip redness swelling/cracking. Received IVIG promptly and had one fever the night of the treatment. Echo was normal. All symptoms went away while in the hospital and we were released yesterday. Today his nonfever symptoms (eyes/lips) came back and we went to the ER. He's a hard stick and they weren't able to get enough blood for the ESR but CRP was down to normal. WBC was back up to over 20,000 and ALT was high again. Because he didn't have a fever and his CRP was normal they didn't want to admit/give 2nd IVIG. Is it normal for nonfever symptoms to reoccur?? Is fever really the only symptom that matters after IVIG and if CRP is normal does that mean there's nothing to worry about??

Amos1439

Re: Nonfever symptoms 4 days post IVIG

Post by Amos1439 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Just wanted to post a follow-up about this. The conjunctivitis was gone within a couple of days but he still gets intermittent lip redness/cracking/bleeding. I've been told by our pediatrician that if it was really continued vasculitis, the symptoms wouldn't be intermittent but seeing his lips bleed while he is drinking a bottle is unsettling. The article below about non-fever symptoms does make me wonder.

http://www.ped-rheum.com/content/pdf/15 ... -11-28.pdf