Immune System Issues?

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
mom2novboys

Immune System Issues?

Post by mom2novboys » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:58 pm

In 2009, a few days before my son's 4th birthday, he was dx with Kawasaki. Since then, it has been an uphill battle with his health. He has had several trips to the ER and severe illnesses.

I am about at my wit's end with all this.

Since 2009, he has had 3 surgeries, the most recent being yesterday! Honestly, we are both worn out with all this. I am so tired. He is tired. Together, we are just done with all this.

His ped is having him tested for Immune System disorders in a few weeks once he recovers from this surgery!

Has anybody else had this experience?

Owensmom
10+ Posts

Re: Immune System Issues?

Post by Owensmom » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:25 am

Hi-
I am curious as to what type of immune system issue testing? What kinds of surgery?
My son just had tonsil and adenoids out- right after Kawasaki he started snoring and
Developed sleep apnea.

My son has eczema, severe food allergies, psoriasis and had Kawasaki right before his 6th bday.
He is 7 now and I do wonder what other autoimmune diseases are coming his way.

Thanks for sharing and I am hope you get some answers soon.

Celest

Littlebean
25+ Posts

Post by Littlebean » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:57 am

Hi,
Yes I have noticed low immunity!
I'm actually researching kefir milk to built up his resistance!
Do let us know what follows...

CarinaSea

Post by CarinaSea » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 am

My daughter is also snoring and has enlarged tonsils and adenoids. She had strep, after finishing a course of antibiotics, she had another positive (6 days after finishing her course). She's on a second course. She has had eye irritations and ear infections too. No health issues to speak of before her Dx other than typical colds etc.

I have all my kids (though the rest are healthy) on homemade Elderberry syrup, chewable colostrum and probiotics. Hoping ill notice improvement.

Gundestrup

Post by Gundestrup » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi, my daughter was dx with KD when she was 2 1/2. Following KD she has had 13 times pneumonia and a lot of other infections. Hospital are sure this is due to KD. She had been through hell and at age 6 are still struggeling with infections. Br Gry

jeni1072

Post by jeni1072 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 am

I really feel for all of you. Fortunately my daughter, health wise, has been perfectly fine. In the two years following she may have had one cold. But anytime she THINKS she may be coming down with something or just feels bad she is obsessive about the thermometer to the point where I finally hid it from her. I guess she thinks if she gets a fever she has to go back to the hospital.

krissy

Post by krissy » Sun May 25, 2014 11:02 pm

I was DX when I was 16 months old ..... I am now 29 . As I discussed my disease with a co worker today , I happened to research more about what I had as a child that almost took my life , and the one thing that I have noticed is that there still isn't much to read about, until I found this site .I have suffered a weak immune system my whole life not understanding why...... a normal cold always turning into the "flu" or "pneumonia" swollen glands strep throat , and as I read these comment I'm just wondering does Kawasakis have a long term affect? I see some of you have had kids sick years later after their diagnosis. I also have a cousin that was diagnosed at the age of 18 and suffers from a weak immune system ....

Nancy
KD Forum Leader

Post by Nancy » Mon May 26, 2014 8:01 pm

hi

Unless you develop cardiac complications during the original, acute illness (back when you were 16 months old),
there should be no long term effects. You should make your primary card provider aware of your history of KD,
and follow American Heart Assoc guidelines for eating a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, get regular
exercise and never smoke.

best
nancy