Chest Pains?

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
babygal_05

Chest Pains?

Post by babygal_05 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:14 pm

hi
i was sick with KD at the age 11, i am now 20 years old. i have been experiencing chest pain since i was in grade 11. it was only small chest pain that would last seconds so i didn't think much of it.i have told my doctor before about it but she just passed it of as "you have bad back posture". but now it has lasted all day. its like when i breathe in deep theres a sharp pain. its usually close to my heart. and the last 3 days i have been getting headaches and have even had 3 sharp pains in my head. my question is has any one else with KD had these feeling before? and don't worry im going to a new doctor Monday :)

liquidambar
500+ Posts

Re: Chest Pains?

Post by liquidambar » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:07 pm

I hope you do.
Please let us know what you find out.

keviig

Post by keviig » Mon May 03, 2010 1:22 pm

babygal_05 wrote:hi
i was sick with KD at the age 11, i am now 20 years old. i have been experiencing chest pain since i was in grade 11. it was only small chest pain that would last seconds so i didn't think much of it.i have told my doctor before about it but she just passed it of as "you have bad back posture". but now it has lasted all day. its like when i breathe in deep theres a sharp pain. its usually close to my heart. and the last 3 days i have been getting headaches and have even had 3 sharp pains in my head. my question is has any one else with KD had these feeling before? and don't worry im going to a new doctor Monday :)
I've also been having the same chest pains since around 13 years old so don't worry. Or should you be worried? Mine also used to not last for more than a couple of seconds, maybe a couple of minutes at the most but tonight I took a nap after eating dinner. When I woke up my chest started acting up really bad and has been going on for around 3 hours already. Sometimes when I'm stressed about something like during an exam, I get these occasional chest pains too but nothing serious and I've treated it as something normal. It's never been this bad and I had like maybe a year without my chest hurting so much I had to lie down for awhile until it subsided. I don't even tell my parents because they'll probably worry about me. I hope you feel better. Btw I'm 20 as well. :lol:

KCLP
100+ Posts

Post by KCLP » Tue May 04, 2010 8:40 pm

babygal_05,

How did your Dr's appointment go?

keviig,

Have you ever talked to your Dr. about your chest pains? Anyone with a history of KD should take chest pain seriously. I would suggest discussing this issue with a Cardiologist with KD knowledge. Sure, your parents will worry about you but, they can also provide support and suggestions.

Be aware that KD guidelines for long term follow - up has changed since you were kids. Keep informed.

I hope you both continue to tell us how things are going for you. Your generation is one of the first of the KD kids with the power of instant communication.
The information you provide could prove to be important to us as parents, the researchers and Dr's.

KCLP
Last edited by KCLP on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bremen
25+ Posts

Post by bremen » Thu May 06, 2010 10:25 am

I have had the chest pains for over 25 years. I have had a few tests done on it and the usual echo or stress test every 5 years but nothing abnormal was ever found. When I started having acid reflux attacks about 8 years ago these chest pains eventually became searing and hot and made my shoulder blade numb. I took increasing doses of nexium (proton pump inhibitor) for many years and they helped a bit but did not make my GI problems go away. I started reading about treating GI problems with naturopathy as a result and it took awhile but I greatly reduced their frequency and magnitude. At this point I have no digestive issues and the occasional twinge in the chest but nothing like it was before. Perhaps the chest pains are the beginning of acid reflux/digestive issues as I suspect they may have been with me. If so, you can probably improve your condition through diet, supplements and a bit of reading - or by seeing a naturopath.
~Jason

Momcat
KD Forum Leader

Post by Momcat » Thu May 06, 2010 5:19 pm

If I knew ANYONE that had KD and had chest pains of ANY type I would make sure they saw someone that knew about the long term problems of KD. An echo or an EKG could turn out positive even with heart damage, more extensive testing would need to be done. A cardio MRI or something like a 64 slice CT. Just because no aneurysms are present doesn't mean there is no arterial damage or heart damage. Young adults should be aware of these issues as well as older adults that had KD. A stress echo might tell you if there is any occlusion or stenosis going on in an artery---but I am unsure if it would tell you if you have any fibrosis in the heart muscle itself....wish we had more answers regarding these newest findings on long term issues post KD.....

kdwife
10+ Posts

Post by kdwife » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:24 am

Please, please, please! If you are having chest pains and experienced KD you really need to find a cardiologist who will take you seriously. Be sure to mention the KD and if necessary, have them consult with a pediatric cardiologist (since they seem to understand the complications better). My husband experienced this recently (33 years after KD). He was having chest pain that began under his breastbone and radiated out and even eventually up into his jaw. He experienced this for several months and saw several different doctors. He had basically clean EKGs, clean chest x-rays, clean blood work, only a "slightly abnormal" stress test, but the cardiologist took him seriously and ordered an angiogram. His angiogram came back with 1 artery that was 100% blocked, 1 artery that was 90% blocked and 1 artery that was 70-80% blocked. He is going in for a triple bypass this week. I don't want to scare you, but it is much better to catch this kind of thing sooner than later.

jphelps

Post by jphelps » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:09 pm

I will echo kdwife post. Find a pediatric cardiologist with KD experience. My son, now 13, had a severe case of KD at 5 1/2 (rate 4.5 on 5 scale of damage done.). Annual stress tests and semi-annual echos all very positive. Slight degradation in stress test results from 12 to 13 yrs. He's been playing non-contact sports and very very fit. Angiogram done Friday last was to determine scarring concerns due to growth. Results showed limited scarring (good). Results also showed calcification of heart arteries (not good news at all!) Drs. now believe slight degradation in stress test results between 12 and 13 yrs was a symptom of this.

The short version - FIND a pediatric cardiologist that understands KD and will LISTEN! Stress and echos will NOT show what's happening.

AdieRose

Post by AdieRose » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:18 am

I'm 20 and have been experiencing chest pains ans swollen glands, and have woken up with a bloodshot left eye for the last few days. I'm going to my doctor today but I'm worried that they wont take me seriously, as my initial KD was dismissed as impetigo for two weeks and had to become seriously ill to be admitted to hospital.

Momcat
KD Forum Leader

Post by Momcat » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:05 am

AdieRose,
What did you find out? It seems like anyone with a history of KD that has chest pains needs to be taken very seriously. Do you have a cardiologist? It sounds like you need some cardio tests just to make sure that nothing is going on in there. Some patients have shown no visible signs of KD with aneurysms, but have had serious arterial problems anyway. Please let us know what you find out.
Sandy

AdieRose

Post by AdieRose » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Hey,

I went to my doctor, who told me that the pain was muscular-skeletal (it isn't, I'm not an idiot), and told me to take Ibuprofen 4-5 TIMES A DAY, (I mean, hello). I tried that and my stomach was awful, and my chest pains didn't get any better. I have got an appointment for an ECG, but I have to wait 29 days :(.

Hope you're all ok
xxxxxxxx

KCLP
100+ Posts

Post by KCLP » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:42 am

AdieRose,

If you have any shortness of breath, feel dizzy, nausea or your pain worsens (even if the pain is in your back, shoulder, or jaw) - go to the ER. Make sure they know of your history with KD. If you are young and female your chest pains will be taken less seriously by some Dr's - even with your history.

Unbelievable that you have to wait 29 days for a simple test. GRRRRRR........

I would suggest you purchase a BP cuff and if your BP spikes during an attack, go to the ER. (Do not drive.) How was your BP when you had your Dr's appointment? Make a chart of your readings during the day. A reading in the office or in the ER is often not taken seriously in a young person (they call high BP in those situations "white coat syndrome" but, if it is high at home, at rest, it will be noted).

Also, (here I go again) if your insurance allows, go to a Pediatric Opthalmologist and get your eye checked. Is it still red? Tell them about your KD history and maybe they will get you in quickly. What kind of drops did your Dr. give you for the eye?

Do you mind telling how old you were when you were DX w/ KD? What type of treatment did you recieve?

Please keep us informed on how you are feeling and what your tests reveal. You know your body, listen to it.

KCLP

Kails47

Post by Kails47 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:57 am

I've been having on and off chest pain for a little over three months now. I went to my GP and she said my KD as a kid was likely unrelated and my pain was probably muskleskeletal. (It was not muscle related). She referred me to a cardiologist after an atypical ecg result. Who says I had pericarditis. This is an inflammation in the two linings of the heart.

It was reassuring that he did not dismiss my KD like all other doctors seem to do. He took it a step further and ordered a CT scan with contrast to check for any damage to my heart. I'm still waiting on the results.

DeweySer

Post by DeweySer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:07 am

Kails47 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:57 am
I've been having on and off chest pain for a little over three months now. I went to my GP and she said my KD as a kid was likely unrelated and my pain was probably muskleskeletal. (It was not muscle related). She referred me to a cardiologist after an atypical ecg result. Who says I had pericarditis. This is an inflammation in the two linings of the heart.

It was reassuring that he did not dismiss my KD like all other doctors seem to do. He took it a step further and ordered a CT scan with contrast to check for any damage to my heart. I'm still waiting on the results.
Seems like you got a good chardiologist. Too often have I heard about them dismissing stuff without checking.