How quickly can a child return to daycare post KD?

General discussion regarding Kawasaki disease
abellessence

How quickly can a child return to daycare post KD?

Post by abellessence » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this boards. My 3.5 year old son is in the hospital, being treated for KD. He was treated on Day 8, and is now recovering well. We will be discharged from the hospital tomorrow (Saturday). Will my son be able to return to daycare next week? We are hoping to keep him home on Monday, but will probably have to send him to daycare on Tues.

Abellessence

award
100+ Posts

Re: How quickly can a child return to daycare post KD?

Post by award » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:10 am

I strongly advise you to stay home with him the next week--I realize it may be very difficult to take the time off with him for financial reasons but you both need it.
I am not sure if you realize how potentially fatal this disease is. He could have easily died or had serious heart problems. Tell your employer the doctors advised he stay home with you and I am sure his pediatrician would write a note to that effect. Take that week with him and allow him to recover. He will be extremely fatigued for a while but the first week is very significant. He will also likely be VERY irritable. He needs his mother. Do whatever you can to keep him home an entire week. Beg, borrow, or steal but be there with him.
The disease is not contagious so you don't have to worry about that.

April Ward RN, MS NP/PA
I am Not affiliated with the experts on this site
I am a Kawasaki mom

Nancy
KD Forum Leader

Post by Nancy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:53 am

Hi

Just another mom's point of view...I'm going to both agree and disagree with April's adivice !

1--never ask the pediatrician any post KD questions--they are just not the "experts" on this disease. Ask your child's pediatric cardiologist--he is the one
who will give the best advice. That being said---most times the docs say the child is OK to return to school or daycare quite quickly and you may or may
not get that "note" from the doc...

2-BUT, remember keeping your child home is a parental choice if the child has medical clearance and you are not convinced your child is ready.
As a parent--I would recommend keeping your child home from daycare for a minimum of TWO WEEKS..if not longer. Reasons as follows:
a-He has just been very ill, even without any complications, he will not feel like his usual self for about 6 to 8 weeks. He will be tired and not have his normal amount of energy.
b-while there is NO medical reason for this one...I think many moms would agree....He has just had a very serious illness...keeping him home for a few weeks lowers his contact with other "kid germs"...you just don't want him to get sick with even a cold right now...YOU would worry too much :)
c-doctor's visits, hospitalization, IV, etc can be very scary for a preschooler...he will likely be "clingy" and really need YOU and only YOU right now---give him a few weeks to get back to a normal routine...be there with him 24/7 and give him the security and comfort only a mom can provide :)

A few weeks lost from week is not a big deal in the long run...but, is very important to your child right now. You have been through a lot as a parent and need time to "recover" also...give yourself this time...cuddle, read and just "be" with your child--you will both feel better :)

best to you both,
nancy

abellessence

Post by abellessence » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Thank you April and Nancy. We just got home from the hospital and doctors told us to resume normal activities. However, being the cautious parent that I am, I will keep him home for a while till I feel he's ready to go back to daycare. Thanks again!

Abellessence

quiverfull
25+ Posts

Post by quiverfull » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:30 am

Another input. My 3.5 year old son was treated one month ago in Atlanta. There was a "Kawasaki expert" at the children's hospital we were at. He has followed this disease since it was first discovered. I am a stay at home mom, but we do put our kids in the nursery at church. I asked him how long to keep my son out of the church nursery and he said for at least 4 weeks. I know that is impossible if you are working, but I agree that if at all possible, keep him home for as long as you can, at least that first week. My son was so irritable and ran a low grade fever the whole first two weeks after treatment. The "expert" also told us that they can "catch" again whatever triggered it the first time and end up having it again. Plus, if they catch anything and start running fevers, they will possibly retreat. They have been through a very life-threatening disease, and need plenty of recovery time, emotionally and physically. I know my son peeled for three straight weeks, and that was very irritable on his feet and hands because they were so tender. He now has just started having bad dreams about being sick again. It took him a good three weeks to start feeling normal after his treatment, but he also was misdiagnosed at first and did not get treated until day 12 at the third hospital, so he was very sick for a very long time. Anyway, I am rambling on just to say the world-renown doctor at Egleston who has written on this disease said to keep him out of church nursery for 4 to six weeks. Best wishes on your recovery!

miami
100+ Posts

Post by miami » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:15 pm

One other thing to consider is if your child is on aspirin. When my son was discharged from the hospital, he was on aspirin and they highly advised us to keep him out of public places. You want to avoid getting the flu, colds, etc at this time.

Also, I'm assuming you have a follow up pediatric cardiology visit? Please note that even though your baby is no longer in the hospital, at this stage in the disease there is still risk for developing heart problems.
Best of luck to you as you go through this.
Lily

aguacce73

Post by aguacce73 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 am

Hi!
You should keep your child away from the public places. Let him recover for 1 0r 2 weeks. Then he can go to school.
Thanks